As a concerned and loving parent, we often find ourselves stressing about the safety of our beloved children. We often hear horror stories of child kidnappings and abductions, any news like this about our children will make us go crazy. Luckily for us, a gadget called the Q50 smartwatch has been invented that should give us peace of mind.
The Q50 smartwatch was invented in my favorite country for cheap gadgets – China. 🙂 This poses as a bit of a concern for me as I have always said that gadgets purchased from China are really not great quality.
So I am going to dig deep to give you the best review possible for the Q50 smartwatch.
Let’s just start off with the price, this item is really cheap. You can purchase this watch on Amazon here- Q50 Smartwatch. So right away I am really put off for the following reasons:
- What can go into a really smartwatch / GPS watch?
- It is from China 🙁
Q50 SMART WATCH REVIEW
SO LET’S KICK OFF THE REVIEW
I decided to purchase this item as in the past few weeks I have overheard a few of my friends raving about the Q50 smartwatch. The smartwatch arrived in a very nice looking good quality box.
So immediately I was on my back foot, a GPS watch for $26 that comes in a GREAT box. What else can be left, I mean surely this box cost almost $20. So after opening the box, I found a tiny little instruction book, a tiny little screwdriver, a really short charger cable – like 5cm long and the Q50 smartwatch.
Now the feel of this product does not feel bad at all. The strap is a really comfortable type of silicone or some sort of soft plastic. The Q50 smartwatch face feels like good quality and the glass on the cover feels really strong and hard.
So far I am happy 🙂
LET’S START IT UP
So after paging through the tiny booklet I finally figured out how to power the engines.
Before you go any further, if you have a small baby that is sleeping, please close the room door as this smartwatch make’s a huge noise when turning on.
The sound that comes from the Q50 smartwatch is a real Chinese sounding ringtone and it is REALLY high pitched. It reminds me of those really cheap toys your purchase from China Town that has those high pitched sounds when put on.
SETTING THE Q50 SMARTWATCH UP
So after the drama of starting this smartwatch, I paged through the little booklet and figured out what the next steps are to get this smartwatch working. Below I have added the steps to set up the Q50 smartwatch.
Q50 SMARTWATCH SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
- Use the tiny screwdriver to open the back of the Q50 smartwatch. Please make sure to put the tiny screws in a safe place while setting the smartwatch up.
- After taking off the back cover make sure to be very gentle with the flimsy battery. The batter is connected with 2 wires to the Q50 smartwatch – be careful 🙂
- The sim card slot is directly under the battery, you can lift it out with a little bit of movement. Also be careful with this as it just feels like it wants to break off.
- Put in a micro sim card, make sure you get it in the right way. Also, make sure that you have data and airtime on it.
- After you have inserted the sim card make sure to lock the sim in by sliding it back – almost similar to an android phone.
- Carefully put back the battery.
- Screw the back lid.
- On your android phone go to your play store, if you have an iOS go to your apple store. Search for SE tracker. After you found it please install it.
- If this is the first time using the app you will need to register. Before you register please select your area, just above the register button.
- Once the registration screen is open you will see there are a lot of input windows open. The one right at the top which says license is where you will type in your q50 smartwatch ID or reg code, do not enter the IMEI number. Also enter all your other details such as emails, passwords etc. The nickname on the registration is the nickname you will give your child. The telephone or email section is for your number, in case you have forgotten your password.
- After you have done the above you click on okay.
- Once the app is set up you will power on the Q50 smartwatch again.
- Once the data lines on the top left are one you are ready to go.
Q50 SMART WATCH SIM CARD
The Q5o Smartwatch uses a micro sim card. This sim card can be purchased at any cellphone store. A lot of the time the issues with connectivity has got to do with the sim card. If you struggle with an offline error you can try changing the sim card to another network provider. About 60% of the time this will sort the offline issue out.
HOW DO YOU SET THE TIME
The time is set on the app under language and time zone.
DO YOU HAVE TO PAY MONTHLY FOR THE SERVICE TO USE THE Q50 SMARTWATCH
No, the GPS tracking is totally free on the app. The only thing you will pay for is the data used.
WHY DOES THIS WATCH NEED AIRTIME
The airtime is used if you would like to make a call to the q50 smartwatch.
THE WATCH KEEPS SAYING OFFLINE
Please try purchasing another sim card. 90% of the time the smartwatch does not work because of the sim card. If that does not work make sure your sim card has airtime and data. You can also double check that the sim card is inserted correctly. If the sim is not in properly it will say the watch is offline.
IS THIS Q50 SMARTWATCH WATERPROOF
No, the smartwatch is not waterproof or splash proof at all.
Q50 SMART WATCH FACTORY RESET
The factory reset cannot be done by the seller unless the seller is from the factory in China. The reset needs to be done by the person from China or the manufacturer.
If you purchased this watch from a normal seller in your own country out of China then this is what you must do: Write down the IMEI number from the tracker watch and send it to the seller. You will need to tell them that you want to reset the watch.
This will be necessary if you have already used this watch on the APP and want to give it to somebody or sell it or whatever..
WHAT COLORS ARE AVAILABLE:
I originally thought you could only get the blue, pink and green ones. After browsing Amazon and some other websites I noticed black, another shade of green, dark blue and white. I am sure you can get other colors if you look further.
VERY IMPORTANT: LBS VS GPS TRACKING
This watch comes in 2 versions. You get the watch that tracks with GPS and you get the other version that tracks with LBS. Most of the time the Chinese sellers won’t tell you the difference because the LBS tracking watch is actually a cheaper version of this already cheap watch.
Please always ask the seller if the watch they sell is LBS or GPS – they will know what you are talking and if they don’t rather buy from another seller.
VERY IMPORTANT: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LBS AND GPS TRACKING Q50 WATCHES?
Firstly the price is, the LBS watch will be the cheaper version. LBS tracking is tracked by cell phone towers. This way of tracking is not very accurate.
The accuracy can be from 10 meters up to a few kilometers or miles. You actually won’t be able to track your child properly with this one and more than likely will be very unhappy with the watch.
The GPS tracking watch can track your child up to a few meters from where they are. The GPS tracking is done with the help of GPS satellites that float around in space. This is obviously the version of the watch you actually want.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE LBS Q50 WATCH?
Firstly you won’t track accurately. You will also notice in the inner strap there will be an open compartment where the GPS chip was supposed to have been. The screen will have an LBS symbol like shown in the below pic:
You can also notice like I said above there is no GPS chip in the inner strap – see pic below:
SEND THE WATCH BACK?
I would personally send it back for a refund or replacement for the full GPS version. Loads of Chinese sellers might try to take a chance with you if they think you do not know about this. Especially if you are buying this watch in bulk to resell.
THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME:
I regularly purchase these watches to sell on our online store. In 2017 I was sold 300 LBS watches, the seller thought I would not figure this out. Obviously, I was not happy as my customers complained as it did not track accurately.
SOME FEATURES TO REMEMBER
- The smartwatch comes with a feature that does not allow it to be switched off easily. To switch the GPS watch off please press the SOS button five times and then the top and bottom buttons on the other side once each. This will switch it off.
- Nothing can be changed or added on the actual q50 smartwatch. All changes are made from the app only.
- There is also a step counter and calorie counter
- The operating system is MTK G
- CPU is 364 MHz
- Locations – GPS and LBS
- Weight is 39g
- Battery capacity is 400mAh
WOULD I RECOMMEND THE Q50 SMARTWATCH
The watches operating system feels like it is from the 1980s and is really difficult to understand. The whole smartwatch screams “made in China”. However, the battery life is very good. The q50 smartwatch can last up to 5 days without a charge.
The smartwatch is not good near any water, even a little splash can damage it beyond repair. The app also looks very cheap but surprisingly does a great job with the GPS tracking. The GPS can track your child within 5 meters from where they are located. So yes you can keep an eye on them wherever they go and you can also chat with them if you need.
With all this said I would recommend it for its price. It was almost what I expected of a Chinese product but a little better. I was not left with a bad taste in my mouth and would give a good word about it if a friend says something.
For $26 I would recommend you purchase one for each of your kids and your neighbors kids. This way you keep your kids happy, you have something to chat with your neighbors about and you can keep an eye on all the kids that we love so much.
Just remember that this smartwatch makes one hideous noise when switching on, so make sure the baby is asleep far away behind a closed door, or you might be in hot water with the wife. 🙂
This watch will do its job of tracking a child up to 5 meters from where they are. It is VERY important that you make sure you have purchased the FULL GPS VERSION. If you purchase the LBS version you will not be a happy customer. You will complain as the LBS watch does not track accurately.
Read here what the best smartwatch of 2018 is.
A Q50 kids tracking watch that will track your kids up to 1 metre. But beware of imitations!
- Can track up to 1 metre
- Easy to use
- Easy to set up
- Does not use loads of data
- No subscription needed
- The app is really bad
- The start up tone is terrible.
- Some are very bad quality